February 25, 2008

'80s night, younger-girl paradise

In the post below, I mentioned that one of the Whiterpeople things I like is '80s night, though technically it was just the idea that intrigued me. But recently I've finally gone my first one, and it was great, feeding my desire for both young girls and dance music. The '90s were a pretty barren decade for dance music, when we remember that the techno that came out was not suitable to dancing. The early 2000s weren't very great either, and only within the past few years has danceable electronic music become somewhat popular again, although the trend was in its incipient stage by 2003.

Take the song "D.A.N.C.E." by Justice -- from the basslines that carried over from disco to the references to Michael Jackson, it's firmly rooted in the last decade to have produced good nightclub music.

I wonder whether nightclubs that host '80s night will cater to Whiterpeople's preferences by trying to see which club can play the most obscure yet still accessible songs. They've got 10 years of music to work with, after all. Once '80s night becomes mainstream, I can see the hipster clubs abandoning it as a ironic thing and making it counter-ironic (doubly "ironic"?) -- for example, by only playing indie music from the decade that Whiterpeople might still recognize, like the Jesus and Mary Chain. "Huhuh, you thought we were going to play Prince, didn't you? Made ya look! That idea's been dead since last Wednesday."

In the meantime, pretty young things from all music cliques flock to any club that will allow them to play dress-up in a non-slutty and non-arcane way. The result -- a denim skirt over leggings with an off-the-shoulder t-shirt -- isn't the most attractive, but their goal is just to have some silly harmless fun. The music is nonthreatening and lighthearted, which is the mood you want them to be in when you're approaching them cold. If the music is too overtly sexual, only the sluttier ones will dance, since most girls don't like thinking of themselves as hoochie mamas.

Disco is somewhat of an exception, since it's pretty provocative, yet is still far short of post-1992 hip hop. But disco is better for those who've graduated college and can handle more sexually charged music. When college-aged kids try to dance to disco, they broadcast their immaturity.

I breathed a great sigh of relief when I realized that I could pass as a roughly college-aged person and so not make the girls uneasy about my age. If they thought that I was old enough to remember any of the songs when they first came out, I would instantly be pegged as "the old guy in the club," since most were 21 - 22 or younger. Standing 5'8, weighing 135 lbs, and having a pretty boy face make it easy to fly under the radar: though I'm 27, everyone tells me I look about 23.

I knew I was safe when, while dancing with two girls I'd approached, one 18 and the other 21, a guy who was probably in his mid-late 30s came by staring shamelessly at the teenagers nearby (he looked like he had worked the same low-level IT job since 1994). One of the girls said, "Oh my god, that guy is like old enough to be all of our fathers!" Really -- "our," huh? Sweeeeet.

The only thing that can catch you off-guard, aside from the occasional incomprehensible slang word, is the feel of their flesh: it's like a party balloon blown up and stuffed with Jello. This changes quickly into an oatmeal-in-Saran-Wrap texture, so it's quite a shock at first. It also feels very different when covered in sweat -- being more taut, it makes perspiration form a layer of beads on top of it, rather than absorb a fair amount of it in the wrinkles and folds that eventually form. And it may be that they just sweat more. Whatever the cause, the greater quantity of younger-girl sweat on the surface makes it easier for them to leave their scent on you too. If you pretend this is all normal, they won't suspect anything.

I know it's considered poor taste to only approach girls in their late teens, but indulging in this barely-a-vice prevents me from committing far greater vices with girls my own age. I would feel no brake on the "casual sex and leave" instinct in that case, since by then they're too jaded to expect or want much else. Unless they're exceptional, of course, but I don't want to waste time searching for exceptions. By contrast, I'd have to be the grand-daddy of SOBs to "pump and dump" a vulnerable and adorable 18 year-old, and I'm not interested in the sluttier (uglier) ones who wouldn't mind it. In the end, I'm only concerned with behaving properly, not with thinking proper thoughts, and if constraining my choices makes that easier, then that's the solution. It's like a glutton restricting themselves to buying healthy food, so that the temptation to sin doesn't even arise.

13 comments:

  1. Yeah, interesting comments. At least to me, it seems totally normal for a 27-30 year old guy to approach women 20-23 years old. hey, even approaching girls in their late teens seems fine to me. In fact, in Latinamerica dating women ten years younger is pretty standard, even women as young as 15. Man, I'm so glad I'm not American.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know it's considered poor taste to only approach girls in their late teens, but indulging in this barely-a-vice prevents me from committing far greater vices with girls my own age. I would feel no brake on the "casual sex and leave" instinct in that case, since by then they're too jaded to expect or want much else.

    If the women your age would expect or want nothing more, why would it be a vice at all?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't looking five years younger than you are great? Sometimes. I'm in my early 30s, but I look 26-27. On the other hand, it took me a while to figure out why I tended to get shot down a lot by women my own age, at least when I didn't have means to signal my real age.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If the women your age would expect or want nothing more, why would it be a vice at all?

    I'm using "vice" in the sense of a bad habit that keeps one from doing the right thing. I wouldn't consider it sinful, but still, I should be doing something else.

    On the other hand, it took me a while to figure out why I tended to get shot down a lot by women my own age

    I've been meaning to write this up, but across the animal kingdom, there is a male strategy that keeps popping up: stay overly youthful / fail to fully develop when all the other males are developing. This prevents you from having much success early on, but since the alpha dogs your own age don't perceive you as a threat, you go unscathed into adulthood.

    Once the coast is clear, something triggers and you develop (late bloomer, Ugly duckling). Now those pretty young things are fawning over you, and you have basically no competition -- the other late blooming pretty boys, but that's it. Younger boys are too clueless and desperate to pose a threat, even the alphas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 80s music sucks. Video really did kill the radio star.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gannon, there are many early-20s girls interested in late-20s guys here in America. Even more so, there are plenty of 17 year olds who will hook up with a mid-20s guy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This prevents you from having much success early on

    Yup, my early dating life sucked. I was a total loser, and now I'm dating several women at once. (Don't worry I'm not a Roissy, I'm looking for a wife, and just want to take a look at as many options as possible.) I'm not a natural at it, but now I have no problem chatting up a total stranger and asking for a number.

    BTW a fantastic place to meet women is teachers convention. Being involved in tutoring you should be able to find an excuse to get yourself in. Even better, find a way to present at a teachers convention. With your background in psychology etc. it should be easy. Get in there, man. Elementary school teachers are the best. They're so sweet and cute and feminine. And the younger they are the more likely they are to be single. The first couple of years out of teacher's college are a particularly good time to scoop them up, as they're used to being on a campus surrounded by young men, getting a bunch of attention, and then all of a sudden they're spending every day in an school with a bunch of other women.

    ReplyDelete
  8. BTW a fantastic place to meet women is teachers convention ... Elementary school teachers are the best. They're so sweet and cute and feminine. And the younger they are the more likely they are to be single.

    I read not long ago that teachers make up an unusually high percentage of the women on sites like eHarmony.com and chemistry.com.

    Given the nature of their job, it wouldn't surprise me if teachers, especially those who deal with younger children, are somewhat less fixated on Alpha males than many other younger women.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Teachers and nurses make up a large portion of the women on most dating sites. But, of course, there you are competing against a horde of other guys to get their attention.

    ReplyDelete
  10. 80s music sucks. Video really did kill the radio star.

    Cultural changes do not happen that quickly. What really happened is that "radio stars" were on the way out, and would have died whether videos came out or not.

    As a rule, everyone is wrong when they try to explain what appears to be a drastic cultural change. See Lieberson's *A Matter of Taste*. He doesn't use the analogy, but cultural change is like the spread of an infectious disease. Observers only notice it once it's become very common and is increasing quickly.

    But it was started by someone who we'll never know, except in the case of Typhoid Mary. So, whatever causes we seek during the rapid-spread phase will be wrong, as they happened after whatever the true original causes were.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, I definitely had my eye on some of my fellow tutors when I was at the tutoring center, and I know all what you're talking about (being the center of attention professionally and so on). Most were at least casually attracted to me; even the prettier ones gave pretty unmistakable indicators-of-interest.

    But through serendipity, I've come to know a bunch of ballet dancers, so that's where I'm concentrating my efforts now. It's reassuring that the friends and boyfriends of these girls are all science and engineering types.

    ReplyDelete

  12. The only thing that can catch you off-guard, aside from the occasional incomprehensible slang word, is the feel of their flesh: it's like a party balloon blown up and stuffed with Jello. This changes quickly into an oatmeal-in-Saran-Wrap texture, so it's quite a shock at first. It also feels very different when covered in sweat -- being more taut, it makes perspiration form a layer of beads on top of it, rather than absorb a fair amount of it in the wrinkles and folds that eventually form. And it may be that they just sweat more. Whatever the cause, the greater quantity of younger-girl sweat on the surface makes it easier for them to leave their scent on you too. If you pretend this is all normal, they won't suspect anything.


    http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050818/REVIEWS/50803002/1023

    Then they rope him into a poker game, the conversation turns to sex, and they look at him strangely when he observes enthusiastically how women's breasts feel like bags of sand.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Heheh, dude you clearly haven't felt 18 y.o. flesh since you were that age. You should get out more.

    Party balloon may not be the perfect example of something taut and supple, but it's clear what I meant.

    ReplyDelete

You MUST enter a nickname with the "Name/URL" option if you're not signed in. We can't follow who is saying what if everyone is "Anonymous."